- For the human she impersonated, see Mikulia Calgaround.
- "A flower absolutely must be pure."
- ―Mikulia's mantra[src]
Mikulia Calgaround, popularly regarded as the Flower of the Plateau, was the Countess of Calgaround in the Kingdom of Elphegort. After settling in the town as a florist, Mikulia grew in popularity and eventually married the lord presiding over the region. To protect her public image, Mikulia murdered visitors to the town that had been associated with her past. She was one of Eve Moonlit's incarnations.
- "There’s no way to know the truth nowadays. The important thing is that Mikulia was said to be a woman of unclear origins."
- ―Julia Abelard regarding Mikulia[src]
Following the death of Mikulia Greeonio, the Clockworker's Doll was activated and its demon assumed the prostitute's identity. In EC 141, Mikulia traveled to Calgaround, Elphegort and settled there, becoming a florist. Loved for her angelic smile and kind demeanor, she eventually earned the name of "Flower of the Plateau" by the people in honor of the greeonian plateau rose native there.
Flower of the Plateau
- "You’re saying the rumors of Mikulia murdering her husband arose for this reason?"
"There was that too, yes, but... It seems that at the time, there were others who arrived from somewhere else other than Mikulia, and two among them ended up going missing."
- ―Hanne Lorre and Julia Abelard discussing Mikulia[src]
Sometime after, Mikulia met with Earl Gilbert Calgaround and the two became close. They later pursued a romance together and their relationship was blessed by the townspeople. Around EC 147, Gilbert proposed and Mikulia accepted the engagement. The day before the engagement celebration, Mikulia learned that the Lasaland Brothel's handler arrived in town and claimed she had been a "loose woman".
Fearing that her past would be discovered, the Flower of the Plateau confronted the man in secret and murdered him, disposing of his body in the local well. Later that year, Mikulia and Gilbert were married. Sometime after, Prime Minister Gumina visited the couple; during her visit, Mikulia and her husband posed for a painting by the noblewoman. Around EC 150, the Countess learned that a boy had arrived in town, claiming to be her son.
Again worried that her past as a prostitute would be discovered, Mikulia killed the boy and disposed of his remains in the same well. In EC 151, Mikulia decided to murder her husband. After learning how to brew the poisonous Gift from the local shamans, the Countess poisoned Gilbert. Sometime after his death, Mikulia regained all her memories as Eve Moonlit and passed away, allowing the slumbering Demon of Sloth to regain consciousness.
- "Time passed after Mikulia’s death, and at her mansion—it was the dwelling of the lord back then, but now it’s been completely torn down—two white skeletons were discovered in the bottom of a well."
- ―Julia Abelard regarding Mikulia's legacy[src]
Sometime after Mikulia's death, the unidentified corpses of her two victims were discovered and the town populace speculated her role in their disappearance as well as Gilbert's death, although no apparent motive or hard evidence was found. The tales regarding the "Flower of the Plateau" were passed down through the generations in Calgaround and became a popular part of its folklore. Historians eventually connected Countess Mikulia to Mikulia Greeonio from the Venomania Event.
Centuries after her lifetime, Hermann Bälz attempted to document Mikulia's life but was unable to confirm her birth or death dates when compiling the complete history of Elphegort's citizens. Yukina Freezis later wrote a Freezis Fairy Tale inspired by the legends surrounding Mikulia, entitled "Flower of the Plateau". The Schuburg Newspaper also published an article concerning the fairy tale and its connection to the original folklore in its 58th issue.
After her death, Eve Moonlit continued to periodically incarnate as others throughout the centuries, including Phantom Thief Platonic and Margarita Blankenheim. After hearing tales of Flower of the Plateau, Elluka Clockworker assumed Mikulia Calgaround and Mikulia Greeonio had been different people before seeing Gumina's portrait of her and her husband in Calgaround. After investigating the incident, Elluka confirmed Eve Moonlit's connection to the Countess and her false life as the original Mikulia.
Personality and Traits
- "It’s said that Gilbert fell in love the moment he saw her working as a flower vendor, and this resulted in them overcoming their differences of social status and marrying."
- ―Julia Abelard regarding Mikulia[src]
Mikulia was an amicable and friendly person, being loved by the people of Calgaround for her smile, which they described as soothing and akin to that of an angel. Seeming to approach life with a cheerful demeanor, Mikulia enjoyed the affection she received from the townspeople and from her suitor, wishing to preserve this beloved image at all costs.
Past her cheerful and kind demeanor, Mikulia only acted solely in her own interests. As a result, disgusted by her perceived past as a prostitute, she hid a secret desperation to keep it hidden and held no remorse for taking even the most drastic measures to do so. Holding no love for her perceived son and despising her handler, Mikulia disposed of them both and was happy to continue her life with Gilbert. Despite this, Mikulia eventually killed her husband for unknown reasons.
Skills and Abilities
Mikulia was a natural with people, able to put up a front in front of her peers and be loved by everyone in her town despite her darker nature. Because of her beauty and charm, Mikulia was even able to catch the attention of a suitor far higher than her in status and become a countess.
Mikulia was also a gifted florist skilled in the art of beautification, enough to garner fame across Merrigod Plateau. She was also able to create and successfully administer the sleeping drug Gift, using the powerful drug as a poison, under the instruction of Merrigod shamans. Additionally, Mikulia demonstrated the planning and finesse necessary to murder three people and keeping her involvement hidden from the public, not suspected at large until after her death.
Mikulia Greeonio: The woman Mikulia impersonated. Assuming her identity after her death, the "Flower of the Plateau" believed that she was the actual prostitute. As a result, she retained memories of "her" past, wishing to leave it all behind in Calgaround.
Gilbert Calgaround: Mikulia's husband. Coming to care for Gilbert, Mikulia entered into a relationship with him and took drastic measures to keep her romance intact. Although living happily with him for some time, Mikulia later decided to murder him for unknown reasons.
Unnamed Man: The real Mikulia's former employer. Mikulia harbored an intense dislike for the man from her days as a prostitute, referring to him as a beast towards women in remembrance of how he took her money from the job. When seeing him in Calgaround, Mikulia feared that he would tell people about her past and killed him to prevent this.
Unnamed Son: The real Mikulia's son. Perceiving the boy as her child and a link to her "past," Mikulia gave him up when fleeing the brothel and came to see him only as an inconvenience that would ruin her reputation, particularly knowing she was a former prostitute. Due to this, when the boy came to Elphegort seeking her love, Mikulia killed him to protect her secret.
Eve Moonlit: Mikulia's true self. Hypnotizing herself to believe she was the real Mikulia Greeonio, Mikulia Calgaround had no awareness of the slumbering Eve within her and only retained the witch's memories upon her later death.
Conceptualization and Origin
- Mikulia's original surname seems to be a pun to "green onion", the character item of her representative Vocaloid.
- Her being referred to as the "Flower of the Plateau" may be a reference to the flower, representing Lust in some songs.
- Her later surname, Calgaround (カルガランド), may be a reference to the English term "Merry-Go-Round" (メリーゴーランド), used as a name for several other characters represented by Miku.
- The romaji for Calgaround (karugarando) may also be a reference to the Japanese adverb 軽 (karugaru), meaning "lightly, easily, or carelessly"; it is also a possible allusion to Mikulia's being an incarnation of the Demon of Sloth.
- Mikulia's name is partially inspired by the name of her representative Vocaloid, Miku, sharing the first four letters in its beginning.
- In Flower of the Plateau, Mikulia is a florist referred to as a "flower" with the song PV reinforcing this imagery of flora, connecting to the sin of Lust and its original form, "The Flower".
- The song PV also shows imagery of slugs upon the prostitute Mikulia, connecting to the sin of Sloth and its lethargic connotation.
- Flower of the Plateau (first appearance)
- Deadly Sins of Evil: Gift from the Princess who Brought Sleep (appears in portrait)
- Waltz of Evil: The Deadly Sins of Evil Guidebook
- The Muzzle of Nemesis (album)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Deadly Sins of Evil: Gift from the Princess who Brought Sleep – Chapter 7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Deadly Sins of Evil: Gift from the Princess who Brought Sleep – Chapter 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Flower of the Plateau"
- ↑ "Flower of the Plateau" – 若き領主が彼女を見初めたとき 誰もが喜び彼女を祝福した
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Flower of the Plateau" – 井戸の底 埋められた 二枚の枯葉のことなど
- ↑ "Flower of the Plateau" – やすらぎ導く笑顔は まさに天使
- ↑ "Flower of the Plateau" – 花は綺麗でなくてはならない